Welcome to Kinsale's dedicated community news exchange for your family notes and announcements (babies, weddings, accomplishments, obituaries, etc.), events of community interest, and stories with Kinsale connections. Submissions are encouraged and welcome.
KINSALE DAY 2017 by Lynn E. Norris, Kinsale Museum Director
At the 40th anniversary celebration of Kinsale Day on Sept. 16, 2017, it was especially great to have a nice crop of youngsters at the event to whom we will hand the torch in coming years!
Lily Carr donned a charming duck hat to emphasize her family’s love for Kinsale
Energetic Malcolm Lee of Lee’s Affordable Tree Service was on hand to let old friends and new know that he is back in this area, eager to serve. His four daughters (Tristen, Tiona, Trinity and Tinaya) and son Malcolm Jr. prepared lemonade for visitors. They very kindly donated all their proceeds, as well as their start-up change: a total of $78. Those who savored the ‘ade put their names in a box to be drawn for $400 in free tree work, which Kathie Morris was delighted to receive.
The always young-at-heart Masons donated all the proceeds from their pancake breakfast.
Ken Beauchamp not only skillfully coaxed great sound from his guitar and sang the blues, his sound system contrived to render the day’s speeches downright clear in the back of the crowd!
In short, Kinsale Day was all about sharing as folks gathered from as far off as Germany for this very special town meeting.
We breathed a sigh of humble and unutterable gratitude that the hurricanes not only avoided Kinsale, they also miraculously spared most folks with Kinsale connections residing in Texas and Florida from whom we have heard. This was addressed in the Rev. Ellen White’s invocation thanking Heaven for safety, peace and joy, and invoking kindness and good will among all. “Help us be a blessing to others,” added Rev. Bob Gochenour of Carmel and Coles Point UMC, blessing the food.
If only one could read one’s own handwriting, we would know who described the event as “cinematically down-home, cosmopolitan, and emblematic of the charms of a quiet life.”
On display were Tommy Douglas’s daddy’s first two Aristocrats – the earliest Cople High School annuals, as well as various photos and pamphlets, vintage 19th-century clothing, an ice cream table and chairs, a stunning heirloom Carl Herbert boat model given by the Burton family, and more.
I FORGOT to put on the program that people should stand up and share their Kinsale and Kinsale Day memories. If you have a special memory to share, PLEASE get in touch at the Museum on Fridays and Saturdays or by email. So sorry about this omission!
A look back in time
What WAS shared were the vivid and humorous recollections of surviving founding Kinsale Foundation board members Edna Sanford Douglas and Walter Norris Jr. (Departed founders were Harry Lee Arnest III, Frank Bailey Jr., and Earl Carter Moss.)
Among those in the audience this year who were present at the first meeting 40 years ago in July 1977 on the little strip of land beside the Post Office were: Shirley Bevans, Jackie Whittaker (and family), Robbie Bailey Flynn, Alice Moore and Betty Arnest, Dougie Norris, Betty Lou and Johnny King, the Bailey family, and this writer. Were there others? Probably the Lewis family… Tommy thinks they were? So many have gone, but we figure they’ve got their eye on us from the Great Beyond!
On Sept. 12, 1977, Frank Bailey Jr. purchased for $2,500 what became known as the Town Green from William G. and Vivian M. Keenan (who had bought it from Charles and Alice Unruh in 1971, hoping to build on it, but the lot was too small). Frank sold it to the Foundation on Dec. 12, 1977.
The Park where the Gazebo is today was acquired for $10,000 from Robert A. and Virginia Harris on Dec. 26, 1978. In the course of time, it was cleared and landscaped with memorial trees. Who remembers picking up the piano several times from the Masonic Lodge and putting it in the back of a pick-up truck for Betty Parks Rountrey to play for our meetings?
Both those pieces of land had formerly been held by Jane Settle, who inherited it upon the death of her husband Paul Settle (who operated the Ice Cream Parlor when it was first built in 1922). Paul was one of the heirs of his first cousin Henry Cromwell Hardwick, who owned the old Hardwick Hotel which once sat on the Green.
What is today the Museum was donated by Harry Lee Arnest’s widow Alice Moore after his death in 1988. Bill Carden of Potomac Supply underwrote the renovation with materials (windows, floor and panelling), labor (wiring) and expert advice. “If not for them, we wouldn’t have anything,” Edna added.
Others (see plaques in Museum) also made substantial contributions toward the effort, both monetary and construction-wise. Also donations of old photos, reminiscences (Harvey Bailey and Norris Parks), art, antique furniture, and other touching memorabilia.
On June 18, 2001, the Cardens also funded half the purchase from Alice Moore of the Old Ice Cream Parlor in memory of Frank Bailey Jr.; Edna Douglas assisted with a note. This now forms a valuable extension for exhibits and community activities, as well as extremely valuable storage space in the attic.
That was also the year the Gazebo came into being and became a central gathering point in honor and memory of the founders… right after 9-1-1.
In 2005, Kinsale was designated as a state historic landmark and was added to the National Registry.
Your generosity throughout FY 2016-17 not only enabled the Foundation to meet its expenses, including the reprinting of Reminiscences of Kinsale, but also, in separate accounts, your gifts were channeled to community events like the Independence Day fireworks and help for less fortunate neighbors during the Christmas season.
Per the report from Treasurer Les Jackson, pre-depreciation expenses in 2016-17 were $30,118.62, with net income $4,295.24. After non-cash depreciation of $6,976.81 was deducted, net ordinary income shows as $2,501.57 below the line.
The good news is that depreciation on the little cooking/storage building, our computer and the old sign from the past has ended as of 2016-17. Depreciation on the Ice Cream Parlor ($1,214 in 2016-17), the Museum ($3,125 in 2016-17) and the Gazebo ($2,057.08 in 2016-17) will continue during FY 2017-18, but that will be the last year of Gazebo depreciation.
As of July 31, 2017, the bank account balance was $76,779.82, with at least $3,000 in checks outstanding. (This compares to $69,800.72 at the end of fiscal 2015-16; $67,419 at the end of fiscal 2014-15, $65,974 at the end of 2013-14 and $62,757 at the end of 2012-13.)
In separate motions from O.J. Hickox and Betty Lou King respectively, with seconds from Alice Moore and Ray Daly, Board members Robert Bailey and Lois Spencer were unanimously reappointed by Foundation members present to serve another four-year term each, through 2021.
Nine vendors’ striking and vivid offerings set an elegant tone for the day. THANK you for being there with us and inspiring others’ artistic inclinations, folks!
A race to the finish
This year’s duck derby will net an astounding $5,006 because money and gifts for the prizes were donated and $600 of the prize money paid out is being re-donated.
Prize sponsors included Bayshore Design (Buck Pace), the Sandy Point Homeowners Association, the Terhunes of Frederick Northup Oil Co., and various anonymous friends of Kinsale. We would like to note that, before they plunged into the creek, the 995 ducks you adopted were exceptionally well-mixed by the Mosses and Parkses: the eight winners’ numbers ranged from #59 to #948.
Noah Anderson-Weiskircher’s mama Caroline Anderson put his name on a Super Pack of 50 ducks, which performed outstandingly. The $500 1st prize went to Noah’s duck #437, while duck #458, another of Noah’s giant flock, came in 2nd, winning $250. Noah is generously donating back the 1st prize. The 3rd-prize winners John and Joni Lawler are also giving back the $100 won by their duck #59.
The five runners-up were to be awarded four Citgo gas cards from Frederick Northup’s Kinsale Handy Store or a Museum gift shop credit. Duck #199 came in 4th; Les and Mary Dobbs gave back the gift shop credit as a donation. 5th place: #829 Betsy Chesler. 6th place, #879 from Malcolm Lee’s Super Pack. 7th place, #817 Matthew Bailey. 8th place, #948 Al Withers .
Amazing auction nets $8,000
The auction brought in a staggering $8,000. Whoeeee, bub! Bids on 96 kindly given and generously bid-upon items peaked at $315 for Todd Ransome’s stunning table, $350 each for the star quilt and for the NN Historical Society Magazines, $375 for a fishing trip with Captain Scottie Moss, and $420 for a two-night stay in a New York apartment. We have one nice framed picture left which would turn a windowless room into a bower. This writer was deeply humbled by folks’ demonstration of support in paying $844 for 17 apricot amaretto pound cakes from the kitchen at Plainview. I will gladly share my adaptation of Anne Bayne Battaile’s recipe.
A heartfelt welcome
New members since Kinsale Day 2016: Underwater explorer Mike Kleinsmith; Frank & Donna Booth; Tommy & Gloria Douglas; Liz Corley; Teresa Tidwell Tate; Jim & Cynthia Rannels; John & Joann Byrd; Craig & Vicky Johnson; Cynthia & Dale Lexow; James & Jennifer Fagan; Frank English; Jack & Missy Sanford; Bonnie [Garner] Pierce & Mike Tracey; Gloria & Gregory Johnson; Jim & Kyle Hard (bought Chet & Jan Williamson’s, Sandy Point).
New babies since Kinsale Day 2016: Anthony James Battle (grandson of Hope & Les Jackson). Dylan James Fuentes (grandson of Kandy & Tom Barham). Ryleigh Ann Elizabeth Hutt (granddaughter of William & Connie Hutt, daughter of Drew & Maria Hutt). Casey Erin Kevit (granddaughter of Dru & Bill Kevit). Owen Flynn Makem (grandson of Robbie & Tom Flynn). Summerville “Summie” Brushwood Sebren, (son of Kisa & Bill Sebren of Kinsale). Simon Albert Bangser (grandson of Joni & John Lawler). Cheyanne King (great-granddaughter of Betty Lou & Johnny King, daughter of Jonathan King & Tiffany Stanley). Winston Fitzgerald Schuler of Geneva, Switzerland (grandson of Jan & Hal Schuler); James Alexander Moss lll (great-grandson of Shirley Harper, grandson of Jimmy and Terry Moss).
KINSALE: THE MIDDLE YEARS REPRINTED. Ed White’s book really brings our town’s history into focus. This second edition (we have 20 copies for sale and one in the library) contains a few clarifications of Ed’s original 2007 offering. Thanks to Design Printing for donating the cover paper and printing, to Ed for printing the black-and-white innards and maps, and to Joni Lawler for printing the color maps. My husband Walter bound the book, so it is really a community effort. This marches hand in hand with Ed’s book Lands and Lesser Gentry of Eastern Westmoreland County which has so much about the first two centuries of our neighborhood. Also, the Historic Sites Guidebook done by Preservation Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula which, you guessed it, Ed also spearheaded.
Nautical niceties: We were honored to have a visit on Saturday, May 28, from Michael Stenger, whose family’s first American immigrant ancestor was Andre Sigourney, from whom also was descended Midshipman James Butler Sigourney, the War of 1812 hero and Kinsale defender who is buried in the Great House Cemetery. Michael Stenger’s mother is a Sigourney. A dean at ITT Technical Institute in Norfolk, Michael is a historian, genealogist and bibliophile who greatly enjoyed his visit with Betty Bailey on Saturday afternoon. He not only joined the Kinsale Foundation and promised to return, he won your Museum Director’s heart by choosing three books from the bookstore with references to his illustrious cousin. He is pictured with a cap from the USS Sigourney in front of a painting of the Great House and a print depicting the battle in defense of Kinsale on July 14, 1813 that claimed James Butler Sigourney’s life.
illustrious late former resident’s emissary: A friend of Walter
Matthew “Matt” Jefferies (1921-2003) visited
the Museum and also the old Jeffries House [sic] on Wednesday, May 26.
She was excited to learn we have a copy of Norris Parks’s history of the
Jeffries family, who were among the first settlers of our town.
The information that follows was adapted from Wikipedia. Matt
Jefferies was an aviation and mechanical artist, set designer and
writer, best known for his work on the Star Trek TV series, where he
designed the original Starship Enterprise. He and his younger
brother John, who worked with him as his chief draftsman, lived at what
is still known locally as The Jeffries House in Kinsale (parts of this
date to 1750) during their youth while their father served as chief
engineer at a power plant. Matt served in Europe during WWII on
B-17, B-24 and B-25 bombers. His 1935 Waco, now owned by the
Virginia Aeronautical Historical Society, can be seen at the Virginia
Aviation Museum in Richmond. Besides creating interiors and
exterior of Star Fleet's USS Enterprise 1701A, he designed props
(including phasers), sets, the Klingon logo and the D-7 battle cruiser.
His sketches were used as the springboard for later Star Ships as well.
However, when Matt Jefferies saw
Star Trek: The Motion Picture he fell asleep. He
never watched subsequent incarnations of Star Trek, remarking that they
had turned his Navy-esque bridge into "the lobby of the Hilton."
Star Trek universe, Jefferies tubes and Captain
Jefferies are named in his honor. According to Matt Jefferies’s memoirs,
the Enterprise was Starfleet's 17th starship design and it was the first
in the series, therefore the ship bore the number "1701A". In June
2003, Jefferies was the guest of honor at the presentation of a
documentary about him prepared for the special edition of the
Trek Generations DVD. Jefferies died the following
month in Los Angeles of congestive heart failure. His art designs
were also employed in such far-flung realms as The Old Man and the Sea
(1958), Mission Impossible (1966), Little House on the Prairie (1954),
and Dallas (1978).